Tips for Securing IoT Devices in Business
Data security is an issue that has been widely considered recently, especially for business people like you who need to maintain consumer data.
Securing IoT devices is something you need to pay attention to as well. The Internet of Things or IoT, as the latest technology that is a trend in today's digital era also does not escape the aspects that need to be considered for security. So how to secure IoT devices in your business. Check out the following explanation!
Understanding of IoT
As the name implies, IoT makes various electronic objects that we use daily can be connected to the internet. IoT applies the concept of computing which with the main idea is physical objects that are connected to the internet and can be identified on other devices.
How IoT works
IoT works based on an ecosystem made up of web-enabled smart devices. In these devices, a processor, sensor, and communication hardware are embedded that function to collect, send, and act on the data they get from their ecosystem. IoT devices share sensor data that has been collected by connecting to an IoT gateway and then sending it to the cloud for analysis.
Why You Need to Secure Your IoT Devices
Behind all the conveniences and benefits you get through these various devices, some of them can track the online whereabouts and activities of their users. This refers to the risk of privacy security, especially IoT devices can collect a lot of data that is likely to be hacked and misused by irresponsible people.
Tips for Securing Your IoT Devices
You need to take anticipatory steps to avoid various other bad possibilities. Here are tips for securing your IoT devices:
1. Consider the security aspects of IoT before purchasing a device. Investigate or investigate the security and reputation of the device brand and system security of the device you want to purchase. Some basic questions, such as "Does the device you purchased have a built-in PKI managed service" or "Is the device TLS/SSL and encryption compliant" you can ask the seller.
2. Connect your IoT devices on a separate network with the primary communication device. This action is necessary because IoT devices such as smart homes and smart kitchens connected to the internet have the potential to provide access to hackers to see our various information easily. You need to set up several networks using many routers with a lot of segmentation, making it difficult for security issues to occur.
3. Use a password with a high level of security on your IoT devices. Also make sure you change your password frequently regularly to reduce security risks. Create a password with a combination of uppercase, lowercase letters, symbols and numbers to make it more secure.
4. Update your firmware. Firmware is a program built into software or a set of instructions programmed on your IoT device. These updates are made regularly by IoT provider vendors to address potential security vulnerabilities. You can perform the update automatically or do it manually by downloading and installing the latest firmware from a trusted source.
5. Keep your home/office main network safe. Make sure your sensitive data is protected by a firewall. It can also prevent infected devices from sending information related to unauthorized internet traffic.
Want to secure IoT devices in your business? Or do you have a need in the field of the latest technology? Contact Telkom DWS now!
Was this information helpful?
With this significant technological development, there are many advantages of IoT and profits that can be obtained on your business. Let's take a look together!