Natural disasters are unavoidable, and whenever they take place, they leave our land in chaos. They take a heavy toll on our lives and finances. Hence, every country should have disaster management plans. With several alternatives on the table, applying IoT is a more effective way to manage natural calamities.
While this technology might not stop natural disasters, it is a reliable preparedness strategy. It can help with predictions and give some early warnings through its systems. So, the Internet of Things (IoT) can be an excellent plan to make up for poor infrastructures that put undeveloped and developing countries at risk.
Continue reading to learn about natural disaster classifications and the connection between IoT and disaster management. You'll also learn the pros and cons of using IoT in disaster management.
Classification of Natural Disaster
Natural disasters are different depending on their magnitude. Here are various kinds:
● Hydrological: These are disasters that result from water surface levels. They include droughts, floods, tsunamis, and flash floods.
● Geophysical: These take place on the land. Some include cold waves, landslides, heat waves, volcano explosions, and earthquakes.
● Climatological: Disasters that happen as a result of climate change. They can be glacial lake outbursts or wildfires.
Preventing these calamities can be challenging, but we can easily predict them using technologies like IoT.
Relations between IoT and Disaster Management
IoT offers better disaster management solutions that modernize emergency planning. It helps disaster management in the following ways:
1. It bridges the infrastructure gap economically
IoT can transform the disaster management system from a reactive state to a proactive one. For instance, you can connect microwave sensors to measure the movement of the earth before an earthquake. Also, it is possible to measure floods with infrared sensors.
2. IoT improves earthquake management
For decades, scientists have had trouble predicting an earthquake, but IoT simplifies tracking. It uses mobile applications with acceleration sensors to foresee earthquakes. Also, intelligent sensors are installed on buildings and bridges to track seismic activity.
3. IoT combat wildfire efficiently
Forest fire management is much easier with IoT’s proactive approach. Its sensors can measure humidity levels and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. And when they sense a fire coming, the sensors can send alerts to firefighters.
4. IoT predicts floods
With IoT sensors, it is possible to watch and indicate water’s rising levels. Then, with the help of big data and cloud technology, experts can send out alerts after determining flood levels. The government will also be able to secure all premises and evacuate the area in case of cyclones or tsunamis.
Advantages & Disadvantages of using IoT in Disaster Management
Using IoT as a disaster management plan comes with benefits and various drawbacks. Although it is an effective way compared to traditional systems, the IoT also has its flaws. Below are the advantages and disadvantages of applying IoT devices:
● It helps governments evacuate areas before a disaster hits, reducing losses. This way, they can prevent numerous financial losses.
● IoT assists authorities in detecting potential wildfires and relocating wildlife to a safer location.
● With IoT sensors, experts can predict disasters like earthquakes more effectively.
● IoT gives the government real-time data visibility, giving them a clear image of how things operate.
● Since the IoT collects and transmits data continuously, this can cause several privacy concerns.
● Developing innovative IoT systems can be technically complex, requiring trained professionals.
● IoT devices heavily depend on the supplies and internet connections. That can raise issues during natural calamities.
● It is costly and time-consuming to deploy and maintain IoT systems.
The Internet of Things is a great proactive approach that can help you mitigate, prepare for, and respond to various natural disasters. So, in case you’re faced with emergencies in the coming years, IoT is an efficient disaster management plan. Contact us through WhatsApp to learn more!
Apakah informasi ini membantu?
Data security is an issue that has been widely considered recently, especially for business people like you who need to maintain consumer data.
With this significant technological development, there are many advantages of IoT and profits that can be obtained on your business. Let's take a look together!
Today, the Internet of Things (IoT) has changed every aspect of our lives, from how we interact to how we work. It allows people to work together with the help of technology, leading to improved productivity.
The interest in digital technologies has increased in various sectors, and the manufacturing industry is not left behind.
TALK TO US